Interview: Katelin Kinney Photography

I love pictures that tell a story. That make me wonder about the person in them, what they're thinking, the kind of world they live in, and what might have just happened out of sight.


Photography by Katelin Kinney

So it goes without saying that I'm a huge fan of photographer Katelin Kinney's soft yet vivid creations. Katelin has a talent for grounding a fantastical concept in a familiar setting; she takes something we know, and uses her pictures to ask the question, "But what if...?"

I was recently able to touch base with Katelin and ask a few questions about her inspirations and style. Read on!


C: What three words would you use to describe your style of photography?

Photography by Katelin Kinney
K: Gaaah! Only three?? Ok probably I'd have to go with Whimsical, Feminine, and Sharp. 

C: What/who do you think the biggest contributors were to the development of your unique style?

K: Short version: My parents, Rob Woodcox, Rosie Hardy, Aaron Nace, Robert Cornelius, and many other photographers. Long version is that my parents, while not artists, were always providing me with games and crafts and acting all impressed with every crappy project I created as a kid. They were insanely encouraging and started me out as an artist without even realizing that they were doing so. My photography inspirations are probably the same photographers that most of us who are starting out follow. They are the big players out there right now in the surreal fine art genre. Rob Woodcox is a hugely well known photographer in the genre I'm interested in. His work is so magical and technically very well done. Rosie Hardy is a young photographer based in England. She just exudes beauty and tranquility in all of her images. Aaron Nace is the creator of Phlearn and basically the leading expert of Photoshop. His images have such a clean, commercial look to them that I always strive for. Last, but not least Robert Cornelius is the next big thing. He is definitely a rising star of digital photography and I was lucky enough to meet and shoot with him a couple weekends ago. He's such a fun guy!

Photography by Katelin Kinney
C: We've been following your 365 project on Facebook and are curious - how much of the concept do you already have in mind when you're setting up a shoot? Do some of those ideas come around in the editing phase, or do you plan it all out beforehand?

K: Ahhh the 365, yes :) Normally I will always have a concept fully finished in mind before I start shooting. However, with trying to create a photo every single day, there are definitely some days where I just throw something together that looks interesting then try to figure it out while I'm shooting or even figure it out in the last stages as I'm pulling it into Photoshop haha. I always feel much more confident when I'm shooting if I have the idea completely formed in my head first.

C. The godmother of photography appears to you with all the time and money and connections you need to set up your dream photoshoot. Can you describe it for us? 

K: Oh my gosh...I've never even thought that big before!!! Lol! My mind is always looking around at trash and cheap props and trying to figure out how to make them look like an expensive large production image. I guess the first thing I think of is creating some sort of huge in studio set with water. I love water! No clue how I'd use it...maybe make a little beach on set, or a giant aquarium tank for my model to swim around in. Second thing is to bring in multiple models. With just a one person show it's difficult for me to deal with more than 3 models at once. It takes a large team and a lot of coordination. And lastly I'd love to have a huge and intricate set of wardrobe options. I always stick with simple clothing on my models since that's all I have really.

C: What's your favorite tool in Photoshop, and why?

K: Favorite tool is probably just the idea of a layer mask. Layer masks on image layers, adjustment layers, clipping masks- they're all just so powerful. To be able to block out parts of images and adjustments without being destructive is SO important to compositing images. I will say though that my favorite process in Photoshop (at the moment anyway) is dodging and burning. I love being able to literally paint light like that on my image and totally change the look of it. It feels so gritty and hands on, almost like I'm in the dark room painting directly on my image with my own hands.

Photography by Katelin Kinney
C: We noticed you've been releasing more YouTube tutorials in the last few months. Do you have plans to keep growing in that area?

K: Absolutely!! When I started posting tutorials last summer I had no idea people were going to find them to be so helpful and even start asking for more. It was originally just going to be 9 tutorials spread out over the summer and that would be it. However, it started pulling in more fans and followers and I actually have a ton of fun interacting now with people on my Facebook page and seeing what tutorials they like the best and which topics they want the most help with. I plan to continue to post tutorials from time to time when I see an opportunity in one of my photos to explain something new. Photographers can either be super closed off and have the mentality of "I'm keeping my trade secrets and you are my competition, so figure it out for yourself" or they can be very open and love sharing and exchanging processes with each other. I prefer to be the latter. Even if I tell everyone all of my "secrets" their images will have their own unique look and will not look exactly like my own work. Plus it pushes you to up your game when you come across a photographer who uses your process, but does it better than you. Share the love people!!! :)

C: Where would you like to be as a photographer/artist by the end of 2015?

K: By the end of this year I would love for my career in the commercial world to be up and running. I've always wanted to work in an advertising agency and be in the creative department. As far as my photography technically I'd love to have more complex lighting patterns with my studio lights and I'd like to see a lot more detail in my work from the wardrobe to the setting around my model to the little props placed around to give a certain mood and drive the concept home.

C: Lastly, if you could send a message back in time to yourself when you were just starting out as a photographer, what advice would you send?

K: Don't think you have to learn everything on your own through trial and error. Teachers and tutorials are out there and just because you watch them to figure out a Photoshop method or tool doesn't mean you're not good enough to be a professional. Use every source possible to learn as much as possible. You still are creating the artist you want to be all by yourself. We all could use a little help now and then.


Thank you, Katelin!

Be sure to check out Katelin's official site and Facebook, and visit this time next week for our interview with cosplayer Lopti of Some Like it Blue. Have a great weekend!

No comments :

Post a Comment