Review: Fey Winds webcomic

"Fey Winds is a stark, brutal portrayal of the heartbreak caused by pet dander-- no wait--
Fey Winds is a silly fantasy webcomic that's halfway between spoof and epic adventure."

That pretty much sums up why I love this webcomic by Nicole Chartrand, also known as Lelenia.

Let me give you a little background on my experience reading webcomics so you can fully appreciate my review of this one in particular. Two years ago, I was unemployed for three or so months. While I was looking for work...ish...I happened upon the world of webcomics and fell into a time-gobbling vortex of ravenous reading. I'd known about webcomics, of course. I just hadn't realized how much they would appeal to me as an author. These weren't your weekly cringe-at-the-bad-pun or aw-and-stick-it-on-your-fridge type comics; these were thought out, illustrated stories with rich worlds and believable characters I could both love and hate. They were graphic novels, handed over one tantalizing page at a time.

Somehow, I happened across one of Lelenia's drawings of Kit, her foxy (no, literally) character from Fey Winds. I clicked through a couple pages of her comic, curious. Went back to the beginning. And read it all.

Fey Winds follows four main characters, plus a smattering of memorable side characters, on an
adventure to reclaim magical relics left in their world by the mysterious Sylphe. They encounter baddies and curses and social faux pas, and danger and hilarity ensue, often back-to-back. On occasion, the exposition feels crammed and then alternatively rushed. It doesn't take itself too seriously...but in a good way. We're dealing with fantasy tropes in a generic medieval settings. So what makes Fey Winds original, worth reading? The characters.

Kit is a feisty fox-turned-girl who sometimes can't help but still chase chickens.
Larina is an elf scholar with a cursed stone affixed to her forehead that allows passing ghosts to borrow her body without permission.
Nigel is an ex-mercenary suffering a gypsy's hex; he has to follow Kit wherever she goes.
And Sid is a likable spoiled prince who turns into a dragon when he's nervous.

Fey Winds is, in a word, lovable. It feels low-commitment going in, but you come out irretrievably attached. Chartrand's art is deliciously colorful, and she's a master of facial expression and motion.

If you've never checked out the webcomic scene, Fey Winds is a great place to start. And if you don't know where to go next, Chartrand has a list of suggested comics right on her site. I can vouch there are some great ones out there...and getting to check in for a new panel always brightens my work day.

Start reading Fey Winds here!

No comments :

Post a Comment